Life is worth exploring!
St James' s very committed to the Alpha Course and aim to regularly run a 10 week course.
Our Current Alpha Course:
St James Church Centre,
Monday evenings - 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm – 16 January to 13 March 2017 (Excepting 13 February – Half Term)
For more information please contact:
Val Lumsden: Tel. 01937 584760 or 07984 074710 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or The Parish Office: Tel. 01937 583074 Email: email@example.com
What exactly is Alpha?
The Alpha course is an opportunity for anyone to explore the Christian faith in a relaxed, non-threatening manner over 10 thought-provoking weekly sessions. It’s low key, friendly and fun. And it’s supported by all the main Christian denominations.
Each session starts with a light meal together, which gives people a chance to get to know each other, after which we divide into small groups to discuss the topic of the evening, ask questions and express opinions. Alpha is a place where no question is too simple or too hostile.
The Alpha course is open to everyone interested in discovering what Christianity is about. It’s a place where people can come and relax, eat, share thoughts and explore the meaning of life. There is no charge to attend the Alpha course, although guests are free to make a contribution toward food if they wish.
Why attend an Alpha Course?
Guests come on the Alpha course for many different reasons; some want to investigate whether God exists and some have questions they’d like to discuss. Many guests have never been to church and others may have attended church but feel they have never had a personal understanding of the Christian faith.
For more information about the Alpha Course please contact either:
Val Lumsden: Tel. 01937 584760 or email vallumsden@ talktalk.net
Brendan Giblin: Tel. 01937 520951 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Office: Tel. 583074 or email email@example.com
...or click here: http://www.alpha.org
10 reasons to sign up for Alpha - by Katie Fraser-Smith
After a little persuasion from a friend of mine who had previously been on the Alpha course, I decided to give it a go last year.
I definitely made the right decision. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is even the least bit curious about God and the church.
Here are the 10 good reasons why you should sign up for the Alpha Course:
- The opportunity to meet new people and form some strong friendships. From the minute you walk into the church rooms you will be overwhelmed by the warm and friendly atmosphere. People of different ages and walks of life come together with the common goal of finding answers to their questions on religion and the meaning of life!
- Have a break from cooking once a week! Every week a delicious, home-cooked, 2-course meal is served.
- Have your questions about God and the Church answered. Each week there is an interesting and thought provoking talk from a member of the clergy.
- The most interesting discussions you’re likely to have all week and after each talk there is an opportunity to share your thoughts about that evening’s talk in small discussion groups.
- Hear other people’s experiences. It was fascinating to hear of God’s impact on the lives of others.
- Visit another church for the Alpha Away Day. A truly memorable day.
- Learn how to pray, read the Bible and be closer to God. Before the Alpha Course I barely looked at a Bible outside of a church service but now I pray more regularly and read the Bible more than I ever have. I am surprised by what a good read it is!
- Feel part of the church community. Alpha opens up a whole new world of social activities, groups and ways to get involved with the church. I’ve been a Christian all of my life but it’s only since the Alpha Course that I’m starting to take a more active role in the church and I now feel a strong sense of belonging when I go to church and, hence, have the desire to attend more regularly.
- Alpha is open to everyone. The Alpha course is aimed primarily at people who aren’t regular churchgoers but anyone is welcome to attend. In my Alpha group there were devout Christians, non-believers and some who were questioning their faith due to events that had happened in their lives. Alpha is basically for anyone who wants answers to their questions about faith or who wants to discover what Christianity is all about.
- All this for free! Why wouldn’t you give it a go?!